Garner is a suburb of Raleigh North Carolina and located in Wake County. For the history buffs Garner started out with the arrival of the railroad around 1847. That same year a tie-breaker vote by the Speaker of the State House of Representatives, now Garner was selected for a station of the North Carolina Railroad between Goldsboro and Charlotte. Known as “Garner’s Station” was established with the construction of a post office in 1878.
During the 1960’s and 1980’s Garner experienced a huge growth within the county. That growth again peaked in 2010 and 2014. Garner became a wonderful place to start a family but also an area that retained its “living in the county” roots.
Garner offers the avid nature lover or are simply looking for a great place to relax and enjoy some fresh air, Garner’s got the perfect place! The Town of Garner Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Department manages a total of 350 acres of parkland inside town limits, over 271 of which are for active use. The town offers plenty of recreational amenities, including over four miles of paved trails, 12 playgrounds, 12 picnic shelters, 14 athletic fields, six tennis courts and a boathouse on Lake Benson that’s open seasonally.
The schools in Wake County are dedicated to every child’s mental and physical growth. Find out more about our Strategic Plans moving forward. Living here and settling into a wonder neighborhood is important. Finding homes for sale in Garner by clicking here.
Learn More about Garner housing market
@wemakegreatneighbors in Garner homes for sale
Short Cuts to local links:
Garner has a many fine dining and “on the go” food stops.
Notable people from Garner and Wake County:
- Brandon Banks, CFLHamilton Tiger-Cats
- Chris Culliver,San Francisco 49ers
- Carl Franks, formerDuke University head football coach and former University of South Florida assistant coach
- Donnie Harrison, Sheriff ofWake County, North Carolina
- Scotty McCreery,American Idol season 10 winner
- John Wall, professional basketball player for theWashington Wizards
- David West,NCAA Player-of-the-Year at Xavier University and currently plays for the Indiana Pacers of the NBA
- Donald Williams,University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Final Four MVP
- Arlie Honeycutt, (home of) Miss North Carolina 2012
- Steve Dilling, award winning banjo player and North Carolina music promote