14. You’ll switch from heat to A/C in the same day
In a state where the greatest 24 hour temperature change is more than 60 degrees, it’s always good to have both your air conditioner and furnace system in good working order. There is a strong possibility you will use both in the same day at least a few times a year.
13. The Triangle isn’t a shape, it’s a region
Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill make up what is known as the Triangle Region. The area is highlighted by a rich culture and a welcoming sense of community. Encompassing three of the biggest universities in NC, it is a hotbed of research and development which is sometimes referred to the Research Triangle.
12. We invented Krispy Kreme doughnuts
In case you did not already know Krispy Kreme traces their roots back to Winston-Salem where it all began in 1937. The now franchised doughnut shop instills a sense of pride for North Carolinians because we know they were cool before they became mainstream.
11. In the summer time you have home-grown tomatoes with every meal
The residents of North Carolina take great pride in their gardens and notably their tomatoes. Having fresh picked vegetables from the garden with dinner is as common as sweet tea.
10. You’ll “go all the way” when you order a hot dog
Also known as Carolina style, “going all the way” means loading up your hot dog with chili, coleslaw and onions. There is room for local variation but you get the idea. Our hot dogs are no longer road side meat, they are gourmet works of art.
9. When someone says, “bless your heart,” they feel sorry for you
Depending on the situation hearing, “bless your heart” can mean a few different things. It can be used a phrase expressing sympathy, or conversely it can be passive aggressive.
8. Get ready to meet the friendliest people
According to topretirements.com North Carolina now tops Florida as the favorite retirement state. This can probably be attributed to the low taxes, extensive recreational opportunities and affordable cost of living. However, we know that it is more than likely our friendly demeanor that keeps people around.
7. You go out to eat and the only type of tea is sweet tea with ice
There is nothing quite like a tall glass of sweet tea with dinner. People from out of state will never understand this until they sit down for a good ol’ home cooked meal and jug of North Carolina’s pride.
6. Coke tastes better in the little bottles, and peanuts make Coke taste even better
Passed down from generation to generation this seemingly crazy combination of sugary sweet Coke and the crunch of a shelled peanut is considered completely normal in NC. No one really knows how it started, but we are happy that someone stumbled upon it.
5. Ya’ll is the only proper way to address a group of people.
Jashau Katz of NC State University compiled dialect data from throughout the USA and found that more than half the country is addressing groups of people wrong.
4. You will have a snow day…without any snow.
Everyone loves a snow day, sometimes we love them so much that we have them with just a snow fall warning.
3. You’ll know the difference between “Lexington” BBQ and “down East” BBQ, and have a strong opinion about which is best.
North Carolina takes their barbecue very serious with nearly every major city having some sort of rib or grill festival. While one style uses only the shoulder and the other using, “everything but the squeal” both are delicious, but we will let you form your own opinion before we tell you which is which.
2. College basketball is king
Along with producing community leaders North Carolina produces some great NBA talent and it is not hard to see why. With universities that regularly rank atop the national NCAA basketball brackets, March Madness is a fun time in NC.
1. You’re moving to one of the best places in the United States.
We will understand when you do not want to leave!